Once you will have completed your booking form, you will receive an e-mail from Interrail with your Pass number to add in the Discover EU Travel app. The following steps will help to set up your Pass for travelling, so you can start your trip well-prepared!
STEP 1: ADD YOUR PASS TO YOUR PHONE
Simply follow the link in the confirmation email you received from Interrail or follow these steps:
- Download and open the DiscoverEU Travel app and log into your account. You can find the DiscoverEU Travel App in the App store (Apple) or Play Store (Android). You can see the minimum iOS/Android version requirements in this article.
- If it's your first time logging in, please select the option ‘start by setting a password’. Here, please fill out your email address so we can send you a link to set up your account.
- You'll be asked whether or not to enable notifications for the DiscoverEU Travel App. This is a way for us to inform participants of any issues on the train network, such as strikes or other significant service disruptions. We therefore highly recommend you enable these notifications on your device.
- Once your account is set up, please log in on the app. If it's your first time logging in, it might take sometime for your pass to be loaded into your app.
- Once the Pass is added, you'll be asked to verify your ID number and schedule your travel period. Please click the ‘Do it later’ option if you do not yet know when you will travel, to avoid accidentally activating your Pass.If you do continue with scheduling your travel period, please check out this article.
- Once your Pass is on your device, you can find it any time in My Pass.
STEP 2: ACTIVATE YOUR PASS
If you haven't yet activated your Pass when adding it to your phone, you need to activate your Pass before you start travelling. You'll need the passport or ID that you're travelling with, and you'll need to know which date you're taking your first train.
- Verify your passport or ID number: When activating the Pass, you will be asked to verify the Passport or ID number you entered in the booking form. This should match the document that you're travelling with, as you may have to show it to ticket inspectors. If you changed your Passport or ID document since filling out the booking form, then please adjust this number before proceeding.
- Choose your travel period: You'll be asked to schedule the 1-month Pass validity period within which you plan to travel. Within this period, you can then start planning your 7 travel days. You can schedule a travel day in the My Pass section of your app, or you can activate a train you'd like to take in the My Trip section. You can always cancel this travel day again in My Pass if plans change, as long as the date itself hasn't started yet. For more information on this, please check out this article. Note that when you want to change the one-month validity, too, you will need to change this too before it has started.
After this step, you can start creating your QR-codes for the journey's you'll be taking with your Pass. For more information on how to do this, please check out this article. We also have collected some useful tips & tricks for planning your trip, which you can find over here.
Not sure when you're starting your trip?
Don't worry, you can come back to this step later. You can activate your Pass up until the day you start travelling, and just leave it on your phone till then.
Remember that you can't board your first train unless your Pass has been activated, and you need to be online to activate your Pass.
How do I know when I'm using a travel day?
Any day when you have a journey added to your Pass counts as a travel day. You can find an overview of your activated travel days on My Trip, as all active travel days will be listed in your itinerary overview. When you save a train to your Pass, we'll ask if you want to activate a travel day for this. If you're not sure which days are activated travel days, just check My Trip or My Pass.
Can I cancel a travel day?
Changed your plans? No problem – you can cancel a travel day up until 23:59 the day before. Once a travel day has started, it’s no longer possible to cancel it and your travel day will be fixed. Note that when you want to change the one month validity, too, you will need to change or cancel this also before it has started. Please check out this article for more information.
Do night trains use more travel days?
You only need to use one travel day for night trains. If you're travelling on a night train that arrives after midnight, only your day of departure needs to be a travel day. You will need to use another travel day if you change onto another train and keep travelling after your night train arrives. But we'll ask you to use another travel day when you add this journey to your Pass, so you'll know that you're covered.
For more information on how to travel on night trains, please check out this article.